Customer Service

Initiating / Cancelling Service

Customers need to contact the Utility Clerk to start, transfer, or cancel utility services with the Cottage Grove Water &Sewer Utility.
  • New Property Owners - Call (608) 839-4704 to confirm that we have received the correct information from the Title Company.
  • Tenants - To begin service, please contact the Utility Clerk to provide the correct billing information.
  • To End Service - It is encouraged for the tenant to call when they are moving from their residence and request a final read. 

Change of Address

To inform us about a change of billing address, please call Utility Clerk at (608) 839-4704. For example, if you are a winter vacationer and would like your bills to be delivered to your vacation address, please contact the Utility Clerk.

Related Resources


Thank you for your assistance in keeping your water billing records current.